The 2018 Disaster Preparedness Sale Tax Holiday just passed in the Florida Legislature. The sales tax holiday begins June 1, 2018 through June 7, 2018. For more information and a list of qualifying items, please see the Department of Revenue’s 2018 Sales Tax Disaster Relief.
Hurricane season is from June 1, 2018 through November 30, 2018. Last year’s Hurricane Irma affected many of us in Florida. Having a disaster plan as well as emergency kits ready to go can help your family be prepared for the next storm.
According to Ready.gov there are some basics everyone should be aware of as this season starts off.
- Know where to go. Evaluate evacuation routes in the event you are ordered to leave.
- Have a disaster supply kit prepared with hurricane essential items.
- Have a list ready for supplies you will need to “ride out the storm”, if you don’t have to evacuate.
- Create a family emergency communication plan.
- Set up alerting systems now. Sign up for emergency notifications with you local community so you can keep up to date on changes.
Prepare your Home
As realtors, we understand how important your home is to you. It is one of your most important investments you will make and it should be ready if a major storm comes a long.
- Trim trees and remove damaged branches that cause damage to your home
- Secure rain gutters and other loose things around your home. Also, clean out areas that may result in water damage.
- Consider purchase a generator for use during power outages
More information can be found on Ready.gov
Part of the basics, it is important that you have supplies in stock before a storm goes through. Some things to consider for your supply kit include:
- First Aid Kit
- Hand crank or battery operated radio
Sometimes, we can get caught up on preparing for an impending storm that we forget what might happen after a storm leaves damage. It may be a good idea to have cash on hand just in case electricity and Internet is out for a period of time. Don’t forget to gather your home insurance policy information and important phone numbers. Making copies of ownership documentation of your home and other important property can eliminate issues that can arise if there is significant damage.
Don’t be caught unprepared! Being prepared is half the battle.